Old Life to New Growth

>> Monday, November 17, 2008

It is somewhat ironic, or at least somewhat interesting that in the English language, the word “growth” is a synonym of the word “growth”. While this may seem obvious to some of you, and while maybe it only seems interesting to me because it’s 3:37 in the morning when I’m writing this, you must admit it is a nice thought. When we are given life, by whatever force you personally believe was behind that act, it’s kind of reassuring to believe that we are guaranteed to grow, at least a little bit, physically and mentally. Life=Growth. So, if this is so true, then how come it’s so hard for most people to accept change for what it is: a means of stretching beyond our previously accepted limits and finding out something new about ourselves.

My life has changed a lot, as you have no doubt all experienced yourselves over these past couple months. As some famous person once said (no idea who the hell it is) “Change is inevitable, growth is intentional.” I personally love this quote; not only is it true, but it is also, ironically, going to inevitably at one point be the slogan for how you’re life is going. Everyone experiences change, and everyone, after times of great change, has moments of clarity where they look back on the change they just underwent. This is innate within all humans, and, in many ways, this is one of the core distinctions that makes us human beings in the first place.

In the last few months, I have moved out of the house I’d been living in for my entire life, said goodbye to my mom, who raised me alone, moved into an almost entirely new place, changed schools, lived with an entirely different person, changed roommates, lived alone, rekindled old friendships, and in some ways, all the while, become an entirely different person along the way…without even realizing it. Change isn’t easy, but it’s necessary. Change only really feels good after the process has ended, and you have grown up enough to understand the process that just transpired.

For the first couple of months, the transition has been hard, and I can’t say that every day I’ve woken up with a lot of enthusiasm for continuing on this course I’ve chosen for myself. However, I feel like I’ve hit a turning point in my college experience, and especially in my life. I have hit the point in this whole big change where I have just come to accept it all. I tend to try to think about it like evolutionary patterns throughout history, because without change and growth and adapting to new environments, no species would be here today. Even the planet has changed dramatically to fit with the growing tide…no pun intended. So I figure I have no chance whatsoever in stopping the imminent alterations in store for me.

Now, faithful readers, I hope you all the very best in your past, present, and future changes; there will be many, more than you will desire.

Not all of these will be as heavy, but this was all THIS half of the writing staff could think of writing about.

--Cookie

1 comments:

Mike B. 11/19/08, 9:39 AM  

Good job Ben, I am proud of you. Now get to bed, don't you have a test to study for?

Your Big Bro, Mike

PS - Here's another quote:

"Change is the process by which the future invades our lives."
Alvin Toffler - whoever that is

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

©2008-2011 Lemon Tea and Cookies. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP