Anything But Torture

>> Monday, October 25, 2010

I find it funny how the simple things in life can make people really happy. Out of all the things in this dismal state of an economy, it’s a baseball team that brings a smile on the most unexpected faces. Yes, a baseball team. The San Francisco Giants, my hometown heroes of sorts. A group of what is being called some of the most unexpected group of misfits. They’re composed of no star subjects, but they do have a prospect and a former reject.

I’ll be up front in saying that I did miss game 6 of the 2010 NLCS against the Phillies. It was a hard decision to make, but I was scheduled for work and it’s not like I could just cancel on the spot. I knew baseball would always be there, and I knew life would go on even if we didn’t win. As heartbreaking as it was I knew in reality that I couldn’t be everywhere at once. Little did I know what was in stored when I punched out for the day.

Getting off the train on the way back to my apartment was probably one of the best moments ever. Random strangers were in the streets celebrating, yelling, and simply running around like mad men. Apparently the Giants had won. This proceeded in high fives all around to people in the same Giants attire as me. There was plenty of cheering and chanting that was close to deafening at times. Man, was it a sight to remember.

Earlier that evening, on the way to work, I was chatting with a man on the train. The fellow had decided to call it a day and was rushing home to catch the game. “Just imagine if they win tonight, it could really help the local shops struggling. It’d give everyone something to be happy about. It’s been quite a long time since they last went to the series.” I’d like to think seeing Wilson close that night really made his day. For me it was noticing an orange and black “IT’S TORTURE SIGN (but we love it)” sign while walking to class this morning.

Let’s do this thing. Game 1, here we come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

©2008-2011 Lemon Tea and Cookies. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP