Momofuku You!

>> Wednesday, January 16, 2013


I think it's the restaurant's name that caught my eye initially. The little kid inside me couldn't help but laugh obnoxiously at the silly sounding title. But it's the man behind the restaurant that kept me reading more. David Chang is definitely a down to earth character and another chef I admire. After reading and watching interviews about him, it's clear he has a unique style and doesn't care what other people think.

I love his thoughts on creativity in the kitchen and I totally agree on authenticity being overrated. There's no point in chasing after authenticity because it's already not being made in it's home country- or something along those lines. I liked how it was the pressure of running out of money that forced him to be more creative. Creative to the point that he created a entirely new pork product. And when his brussel sprout dish grew too popular he had the courage to take it off the menu. Who does THAT? But I completely agree. Chefs, or anyone for that matter, lose their creativity if they keep doing the same thing. Chang didn't want to be known for one single dish, so he tossed it out the door all together.


Recently Chang made a PBS series with Anthony Bourdain called, "The Mind of a Chef". It's a fantastic series that I watched half way through before PBS took the stream offline. Chang also produces a culinary journal called, "The Lucky Peach" which I assume is named after the restaurant. One of my dreams is to be able to find the first issue somewhere for a reasonable price. But alas, it is a mighty hard find.

All in all, Chang is definitely a respectable chef I look forward to reading about more in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

©2008-2011 Lemon Tea and Cookies. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP